Friday, August 22, 2008

Insalata Caprese

When I was at the local Ikea with Shawna we went to the food court to eat and I saw what appeared to be about the simplest thing ever made. It was a piece of cheese with a slice of tomato and a leaf of basil. It was expensive and I convinced myself that something so simple was not worth a premium. Time passed and my love of cheese made me rationalize the purchase. I thought, "Surely this must be some really good cheese with fancy heirloom tomatoes".

So, after a while I went back only to find it was no longer on the menu. This lead me to googling tomato, basil, mozzarella. That lead me to an article here that sounds awesome, but is really nothing like what I saw at Ikea.

It was at this time that I decided to just make it from the ingredients I knew were in it. I took some nice fresh mozzarella and sliced it up. I then realized I had no tomatoes. I tried making it without tomatoes. The whole thing tasted like olive oil. I know the tomato would have made a difference, but I think maybe it also should have sat for a bit to let the flavors meld.

Then after giving up I found this completely by accident while randomly looking through foodie blogs. It is the same thing I saw but in mass. I am now armed with the knowledge I need to make what seems to be about the simplest thing anybody could ever make.

1 comment:

pam said...

Patrick - thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you enjoy this salad, it's so simple and good. I let mine sit for at least 30 minutes. We even eat it the next day, after letting it come to room temperature again.